Motor Vehicle Accident Schemes

Each state and territory in Australia has a scheme for people injured in a motor vehicle under the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) arrangements.

Osteopaths are eligible practitioners in each state and territory motor accident scheme. It means you can consult an osteopath if you have been injured in a motor vehicle, have a neurological or musculoskeletal injury (i.e., an injury to your bones, muscles, joints, tendons or nerves) and are approved to receive rebated or paid treatments for your injury by your claim case manager.

In general, you will need a referral from a General Practitioner (GP) to see an osteopath for a motor vehicle accident. In approving consultations with an osteopath, your claim case manager may ask if a General Practitioner has referred you.

Depending on the severity of your motor vehicle injury and your recovery goals, your case manager may grant approval for a certain number of clinical sessions with an osteopath. If you still have limitations once the approved number of sessions are used, the osteopath will generally need to seek further approval for more sessions from your case manager. Some jurisdictions have special forms that need to be completed by an osteopath in seeking approval to treat you. Ask your injury case manager for any special forms requiring completion by an osteopath in your claim approval process.

When you first attend an osteopathic clinic, bring your claim number, your General Practitioner referral, the contact details of your case manager and any reports about your injury. This will help the osteopath to establish your approval status and identify how best to help you manage your motor vehicle injury.

In some jurisdictions, a schedule of fees caps the amount an osteopath will be paid for motor accident injury management services. When there is a capped schedule of fees, your case manager will only pay an osteopath up to the amount specified in the schedule. In some jurisdictions osteopaths can charge a gap payment over the schedule of fees, to be paid by a client out of their own pocket. If you are approved to consult an osteopath, ask your case manager for fees rules and ask your osteopath if they intend to charge a gap before you proceed with treatment.

An osteopath gives information about your progress to the case manager and others involved in helping you recover from a motor vehicle injury.

If you are not approved to receive services from an osteopath or have pending approval and proceed irrespective, you maybe responsible for paying all practitioner services (check with your claim manager). The osteopath will give you invoices with which you can seek reimbursement, but this will be at the discretion of the relevant scheme and your case manager.

Osteopathy Australia Partners

We work with these complementary key organisations as an essential part
of providing high quality healthcare for Australians.

Guild Insurance
London College of Animal Osteopathy
Associations Forum
Brooks Shoes
OPC Health
Health Workforce Australia
Serenity HLP by Regal sleep
National Rural Health Alliance
Insurance Commission of WA
Victoria University
VIC Worksafe
Worksafe ACT
TAS Workcover
Wentworth Advantage
Arthritis Australia
SA Worksafe
RMIT University
NSW Workcover
Australasian College of Sport & Exercise Physicians
Member Advantage
Better Pain Management
Workcover WA
NT Worksafe
Pain Australia
Australian Osteopathic Accreditation Council
QLD Worksafe