Practising Osteopathy in Australia
- Apply for and be successfully registered with the Osteopathy Board of Australia.
- Visit the Australian Department of Home Affairs, as you may also need to apply for a visa issued by Immigration and Citizenship.
- Osteopathy is on the Skilled Occupation List, which is used for 457 (Temporary Work Skilled Visa), 189 (Skilled Independent Visa), 489 (Skilled Regional Provisional Visa) and 485 (Graduate Temporary Visa) visa applications.
NB. An application for a visa is separate to an application for entry via the Skilled Occupation List - success in one does not automatically guarantee success in the other.
New Zealand Osteopaths
New Zealand osteopaths holding current registration and an Annual practising certificate can apply for registration as an osteopath in Australia under the Commonwealth Trans-Tasman mutual recognition act 1997 (TTMR).
- Visit the Osteopathy Board of Australia for more information
- Download the Application Form Application for trans-Tasman mutual recognition as an osteopath - ATMR-56
- Visit the Australasian Osteopathic Accreditation Council and read their guide Information on the practice of Osteopathy in Australia - A guide for graduates trained overseas.
Other Overseas Osteopaths
The Australasian Osteopathic Accreditation Council assesses all other overseas-trained osteopaths, looking at their skills and qualifications.
What's involved in the assessment process?
AOAC conducts initial desktop assessments and advises candidates whether they are eligible to be assessed by the Osteopathy Board of Australia via Standard pathway; or Competent authority pathway.
Depending on your eligible pathway, your steps towards assessment may include:
Written paperwork assessment
Practical clinical exam
Open book exam
Assessment (open-book) on Information on the practice of Osteopathy in Australia - A guide for graduates trained overseas
Supervised practice under provisional registration for a minimum of six months
Apply for general registration to practice as an osteopath in Australia
Read the Osteopathy Board of Australia's Pathways and Application Process for Overseas-trained Osteopaths.
Osteopathy Board of Australia - the regulatory body for osteopaths in Australia.
Australasian Osteopathic Accreditation Council - an independent organisation to assess and accredit osteopathic education programs leading to eligibility for registration as an osteopath in Australia, as well as assessing the suitability of overseas qualified osteopaths to practice in Australia.